Lyndsey Addario book report



It's What I do, By Lyndsey Addario

    I really enjoyed this book, I haven't been reading much lately but this book makes me want to pick it up again. It was amazing how much was packed into this and how it can go from such a calm chapter to complete chaos within a few pages. The power within her writing was so heavy, I don't think I have ever read a book and felt so much along with the writer. On page 184 she writes, "A bunch of young Americans who should have been out drinking beers at bars back at home and living up their early twenties were instead carrying the lifeless body of their dearest friend through the lonely mountains of Afghanistan." This was one of her most powerful lines from the story within the Korengal valley that stuck out heavily to me as I thought of my own best friends as I read about Rougle. It was also my personal favorite quote and will always have me thinking about it.
    Addario's constant resilience to her work and her need to be there for a story is something that sticks out so much from other photographers. After going through the torture and torment of being kidnapped she is still able to go back to photograph war even while growing a child within her. On page 243, after being kidnapped and held hostage for a week, she still writes "everyone asked us the inevitable question and my answer was yes. I knew I would cover another war." I can't imagine myself ever being that dedicated to my line of work to be near death so much and still feel that sense of duty but I do understand how she might feel like she must return and I see the importance in her work. 
    Addario showed me how easy life can be in perspective with other people. Her writing inspired me to take risks and go for pictures of people I normally would feel too uncomfortable approaching. If someone out there can go through so much torment then I can definitely take some pictures for a class here safely on a random campus in Oregon. 
    My favorite picture was the one of Khalid. The reason I chose this as my favorite is the backstory, the amount of suffering she went through and trauma she endured just for somebody to reject it over something so small must have been so infuriating. I also loved the photo of all the people who were kidnapped as it gave so much more life to the story to see them in real life as people and to look at their faces (shown on page 205.)


Addario's photo of Khalid, the child who's face was scratched all over by shrapnel. (pg.206)

    I would definitely recommend this book to anybody, this was an extremely powerful story and was an amazing read for a college textbook. I was invested in the story and the people through and through. Anybody who is a fan of a more emotional nonfiction would love this book and I am glad I was able to have the chance to read it.





Comments

Popular posts from this blog

On campus photos-Linn Benton Community College

My first blog

"On the job" Photos